Perform a Language Audit
- Perform a “language audit” of existing materials for language that may be stigmatizing, then replace with more inclusive language.
- Example: Using the search and replace function for electronic documents, search for “addict” and replace with “person with a substance use disorder,” or search for “abuse” and replace with “use” or “misuse.”
- Make sure to review both internal documents (e.g., mission statements, policies) as well as external ones (e.g., brochures, patient forms).
- Reference the Addictionary for help with language
- Consider the impact of Recovery Dialects